View Poll Results: Would you fold a medium pair in that spot?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 27.27%
  • Nope

8 72.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of medium pairs late in tourny.

Joey_Knish_09 is offline PNW Amateur

Default Value of medium pairs late in tourny.

Need some advice....

This is a spot which is pretty simple but one which I was after some advice if I'm being too nitty? We were down to the last 5 of about 180.

The villain had not been very active at all but I had been raising it up a bit so he probably didn't give much respect to my raise anyway. Just not sure if I need to call here or not?? Opinions?

Should it just have been a straight forward call? Anything wrong with my fold....... I found it very hard to do?

[HAND]http://www.pokernetwork.com/poker-hands/all/hand?lid=9342&nid=144603[/HAND]

Murphmaester is offline PNW Amateur

Default Re: Value of medium pairs late in tourny.

Not really enough information to be 100%, there are some instances I might be calling here but with a villain not very active as is I voted for fold.

It would depend much more on how often you raise in this position and whether he defends his blinds and how often, some that do this a lot would be much more likely to get a call from me. I am open raising in this spot every time with any two cards, the villain will know this by now so 88 might well be good but being that he is shortstacked but with two players with less chips one has got to assume he is only doing this with a decent hand. The fold is good in my not so expert opinion.

sal fazzino is offline PNW Amateur

its a snap call for me. IMO im ahead of his range and ive got plenty of chips left if im wrong as opposed to being clear CL if im right.
    ugritaly

DaNRL is offline PNW Grinder

i'm possibly too nitty but for 30k extra I would fold - if it was only 20k extra I'd think a lot harder though ...
    The Penguin is a survivor - he will be there at the end

Quote Originally Posted by DaNRL View Post
    i'm possibly too nitty but for 30k extra I would fold - if it was only 20k extra I'd think a lot harder though ...
    Yep thanks. I wasn't keen on calling off a third of my stack in that spot. I also felt he would flat with a smaller pair so at best I was racing (which was probably the case I guess). I suppose I just thought I was deep enough and well positioned enough to let it go.

I reckon its a spot that's pretty important in tourneys but I'm never sure if I've made a mistake by not taking chances like that?

Bump...

Any further advice/opinions from the gurus?

Strong Play is offline Moderator

yeh dont fold...
    Seriously rickwaa be more of a loser.

JadeTaVernDegen is offline PNW Grinder
    Somewhere between Isergina IX and dido II

IF.... big IF you are going to fold please start opening less than 3x.... make it 2.6-3 preflop and I am pretty sure i dont fold you are ahead of as many pairs that you are behind imo a race as a slight fav is great and if this guy is restealing suited connectors(unlikely but lol)
    "I play this game to win, I don't play to lose..."
    Hevad 'Rainkhan' Khan

Quote Originally Posted by JadeTaVernDegen View Post
    IF.... big IF you are going to fold please start opening less than 3x.... make it 2.6-3 preflop and I am pretty sure i dont fold you are ahead of as many pairs that you are behind imo a race as a slight fav is great and if this guy is restealing suited connectors(unlikely but lol)
    Great advice...... thanks.

thret is offline PNW Elite

Call, but don't lose sleep over folding as it isn't a huge mistake. Especially if you are stealing a lot and they are letting you.
    How did you learn to play poker? By playing darts? - The Grand
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. - Mark Twain
    Prosperity supposes capacity. Win the lottery, and you are an able man. Have but luck, and you will have the rest; be fortunate, and you will be thought great. - V Hugo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast