Thread: Call or Fold Situation

GRETZKY427 is offline PNW Amateur

Default Call or Fold Situation

PokerStars Game #41569578527: Tournament #255475587, $4.00+$0.40 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2010/03/23 13:00:20 ACST [2010/03/22 22:30:20 ET]
    Table '255475587 1' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
    Seat 1: howdyfolks (1550 in chips)
    Seat 2: GRETZKY427 (1700 in chips)
    Seat 3: sifford13 (1440 in chips)
    Seat 4: mishmear (1440 in chips)
    Seat 5: STORENOSSER (1810 in chips)
    Seat 6: ~aDemolish (1020 in chips)
    Seat 7: dimonera469 (2910 in chips)
    Seat 8: popo74747 (4900 in chips)
    Seat 9: skimachin347 (1210 in chips)
    skimachin347: posts small blind 10
    howdyfolks: posts big blind 20
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to GRETZKY427 [Td Qd]
    GRETZKY427: raises 40 to 60
    sifford13: folds
    mishmear: folds
    STORENOSSER: folds
    ~aDemolish: calls 60
    dimonera469: folds
    popo74747: folds
    skimachin347: raises 40 to 100
    howdyfolks: folds
    GRETZKY427: calls 40
    ~aDemolish: calls 40
    *** FLOP *** [5h Ac Jh]
    skimachin347: bets 200
    GRETZKY427: calls 200
    ~aDemolish: calls 200
    *** TURN *** [5h Ac Jh] [7h]
    skimachin347: bets 910 and is all-in
    GRETZKY427: folds
    ~aDemolish: calls 720 and is all-in
    Uncalled bet (190) returned to skimachin347
    *** RIVER *** [5h Ac Jh 7h] [Kd]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    skimachin347: shows [5s Kh] (two pair, Kings and Fives)
    ~aDemolish: shows [Ah Qc] (a pair of Aces)
    skimachin347 collected 2360 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 2360 | Rake 0
    Board [5h Ac Jh 7h Kd]
    Seat 1: howdyfolks (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 2: GRETZKY427 folded on the Turn
    Seat 3: sifford13 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: mishmear folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: STORENOSSER folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: ~aDemolish showed [Ah Qc] and lost with a pair of Aces
    Seat 7: dimonera469 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: popo74747 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: skimachin347 (small blind) showed [5s Kh] and won (2360) with two pair, Kings and Fives

Playing this hand UTG was probably not the correct play but with a straight draw on after the flop is this a call his all in or fold situation?

Should i be worried about the 3 hearts on the board?

Zutroy is offline PNW Amateur

Default Re: Call or Fold Situation

Fold pre, don't raise UTG here.

Fold to the pre-flop re-raise.

Fold the gut shot draw on the flop to the bet.

Fold to the all in on the turn (you should also be worried about the Ace and Jack that someone might have paired, not just the hearts).

Seriously dude, you should really consider ceasing to post HHs with the full hand results in them. Especially when it's clear you're only raising the question because you would have won the hand if you saw it to the river.

Read the guidelines to the Hand Discussion forum!
    He had a lot to say. He had a lot of nothing to say.

Suicide_KINGS98 is offline PNW Grinder

wow, you aint gonna get too many ppl wanting to help you with this and ill tell you why.

Firstly, as i said in the other post, you need to read basic no limit strategy, and when you do this, some of the most BASIC stuff it teaches you is playing mediocre holdings (hands that are average or poor) and also teaches you what positions are correct to play what.

imagine for arguments sake, you raise with Q-10 UTG got called by K-Q or A-Q and the flop came Q-high, how would you feel about your Q-10, especially out of position - which means wihtout information (UTG is first to act and therefore without any information), and poker is all about information you aquire by having people act before you, so when your in late position e.g. 'the button' you are last to act and watch what others do before you (with information). And also, will you be able to fold after you paired you Q with an average (10) kicker. You are now beat by the most basic of hands A-Q K-Q and Q-J

So, the strategy points you into playing an ABC game of not getting yourself into such difficult spots in the first place, as we are learning the game, folding is a skill that is very hard to do without propper experience.

So in essence, your questions to help you develop in this thread are the wrong questions. And its also hard to put a thread in this forum asking guys "can i play Q-10 UTG?" because its an obvious answer that a book will teach you. NO!

Fold the hand pre flop, and in relation to the flop, i dont want to confuse you with any other informatin, but fold that quicker than folding the hand pre.

I really want to say, read a book before posting anything else in this forum, but you can do as you wish.

If you keep posting this sort of stuff, i would feel that not me or any other person would take the time give you some tips.

GRETZKY427 is offline PNW Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide_KINGS98 View Post
    wow, you aint gonna get too many ppl wanting to help you with this and ill tell you why.

Firstly, as i said in the other post, you need to read basic no limit strategy, and when you do this, some of the most BASIC stuff it teaches you is playing mediocre holdings (hands that are average or poor) and also teaches you what positions are correct to play what.

imagine for arguments sake, you raise with Q-10 UTG got called by K-Q or A-Q and the flop came Q-high, how would you feel about your Q-10, especially out of position - which means wihtout information (UTG is first to act and therefore without any information), and poker is all about information you aquire by having people act before you, so when your in late position e.g. 'the button' you are last to act and watch what others do before you (with information). And also, will you be able to fold after you paired you Q with an average (10) kicker. You are now beat by the most basic of hands A-Q K-Q and Q-J

So, the strategy points you into playing an ABC game of not getting yourself into such difficult spots in the first place, as we are learning the game, folding is a skill that is very hard to do without propper experience.

So in essence, your questions to help you develop in this thread are the wrong questions. And its also hard to put a thread in this forum asking guys "can i play Q-10 UTG?" because its an obvious answer that a book will teach you. NO!

Fold the hand pre flop, and in relation to the flop, i dont want to confuse you with any other informatin, but fold that quicker than folding the hand pre.

I really want to say, read a book before posting anything else in this forum, but you can do as you wish.

If you keep posting this sort of stuff, i would feel that not me or any other person would take the time give you some tips.
    When you bring up the point of the AQ or KQ im way behind...Q10 UTG is a shit hand cheers bud for the infomation.

-EVPlayer is offline PNW Railbird

Ship every hand in pre. I think you have more chance winning a tournament like that than with your current play.

Stick is offline PNW Grinder

4-bet to 140 pre... shows massive strength, and helps to see where you're at...
    Check folding for pot control...

twostate is offline PNW Lurker

Stop feeding the trolls

hip
    hip is offline Banned

Congratulations on a good fold.
    I prefer a fold pre-flop also.

InTheWhiskaz is offline PNW Lurker

^^^ + 1

You seem keen. Go and get a copy of "Getting Started in Hold 'em" by Ed Miller. Its only about 20-30 bucks and it is just a gift that will keep giving. Or any other beginners poker book there are so many that are just so well written and easy to understand. Your post indicates that there are basic concepts like hand strength, board reading, pot odds, implied odds, etc. that you don't yet have a grasp of that are the absolute fundamentals that you need to start building a framework of poker knowledge. And play the $1 (or 10c tourneys or whatever you can play that is not play money) until you can beat them. I'm sure you can't beat $4 tourneys or even $1 tourneys unless your posts are just to take the piss.

Mate poker is a great game and you should hang in, but you need to do some work before you post this kind of stuff here.