Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extracting value in PLO

Beeper9 is offline PNW Lurker

Default Extracting value in PLO

Everyone at the table is playing relatively solid. No massive preflop raises.

I'd just like to know from others whether they would have checked the turn as well to wait for someone else to bet at it. I min-bet the turn, to build the pot for the river hoping that someone had a pair in their hand.

PokerStars Game #41732291798: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.01/$0.02 USD) - 2010/03/26 10:44:01 ET
    Table 'Juno IV' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
    Seat 1: ktktktktktkt ($0.95 in chips)
    Seat 3: Husau ($1.31 in chips)
    Seat 4: divadson ($2.67 in chips)
    Seat 5: crazian007 ($4 in chips)
    crazian007: posts small blind $0.01
    ktktktktktkt: posts big blind $0.02
    mandingoblck: is sitting out
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to crazian007 [Tc 7c Th Qh]
    Husau: calls $0.02
    divadson: folds
    crazian007: raises $0.02 to $0.04
    ktktktktktkt: calls $0.02
    Husau: calls $0.02
    *** FLOP *** [5h Qs Qc]
    crazian007: checks
    ktktktktktkt: checks
    Husau: checks
    *** TURN *** [5h Qs Qc] [Qd]
    crazian007: bets $0.04
    ktktktktktkt: folds
    Husau: folds
    Uncalled bet ($0.04) returned to crazian007
    crazian007 collected $0.12 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $0.12 | Rake $0
    Board [5h Qs Qc Qd]
    Seat 1: ktktktktktkt (big blind) folded on the Turn
    Seat 3: Husau folded on the Turn
    Seat 4: divadson (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: crazian007 (small blind) collected ($0.12)

USUALSUSPECT is offline PNW Semi-Pro

Default Re: Extracting value in PLO

1c/2c
    you need to be getting as much money in the pot as you possibly can

pot pre
    pot flop
    pot turn

value

captainpants is offline PNW Railbird

min raising pre flop in any form of poker at any stakes is something I just dont understand. Forget about checking on any street.
    "Poker isn't played when blinds are 50-100 they are played in the middle to late stages of the tourney" - thkcduckworth.

Thanks for the advice guys. Will aim to be more aggro in my pots

grunter is offline PNW Elite

Quote Originally Posted by captainpants View Post
    min raising pre flop in any form of poker at any stakes is something I just dont understand.
    It has its advantages in some situations.
    pz to all

thret is offline PNW Elite

Don't raise out of the SB.

I am not sure what would be worse, checking the flop or betting full pot. But 3 handed you should lead into every xyy rainbow flop regardless of what you have. It is a good spot to bluff when you missed and when you hit you need to bet for protection, information, and value. On the turn a bet with quads is also mandatory for value as they may well call you down with full houses but they will rarely bet and never raise. The same applies for the river.

We should always lead with trips because unthinking players will almost never raise unless they have trips or better, this at least gives us a fair idea of where our QTT7 is at, namely drawing to 5 outs. The only other hands that people can have are pocket pairs and it is a mistake to give them free cards as we cannot extract much value from them by doing so, but we can lose a whole lot if they get there.
    How did you learn to play poker? By playing darts? - The Grand
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. - Mark Twain
    Prosperity supposes capacity. Win the lottery, and you are an able man. Have but luck, and you will have the rest; be fortunate, and you will be thought great. - V Hugo

captainpants is offline PNW Railbird

Quote Originally Posted by grunter View Post
    Yeah I forgot about when your playing heads up & the other person is sitting out.
    "Poker isn't played when blinds are 50-100 they are played in the middle to late stages of the tourney" - thkcduckworth.

Strong Play is offline Moderator

yup, well played...

someone who can play tries to teach you something, but rather than saying "really? - hmm, what sort of spots?" and trying to learn something, you chose to post that.

[ ] optimal.
    Seriously rickwaa be more of a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by thret View Post
    Don't raise out of the SB.

I am not sure what would be worse, checking the flop or betting full pot. But 3 handed you should lead into every xyy rainbow flop regardless of what you have. It is a good spot to bluff when you missed and when you hit you need to bet for protection, information, and value. On the turn a bet with quads is also mandatory for value as they may well call you down with full houses but they will rarely bet and never raise. The same applies for the river.

We should always lead with trips because unthinking players will almost never raise unless they have trips or better, this at least gives us a fair idea of where our QTT7 is at, namely drawing to 5 outs. The only other hands that people can have are pocket pairs and it is a mistake to give them free cards as we cannot extract much value from them by doing so, but we can lose a whole lot if they get there.
    Yes, I generally agree on betting with xyy on the flop, but didnt in this case as I was sure I was ahead and that if I bet there, other two would fold, so I checked. I bet on the turn hoping someone had made a full house and would call or raise me.

But, I generally get that I should be betting for a) to increase pot size and b) extract information aobut where I am at.

Quote Originally Posted by grunter View Post
    Following on from Joel's post, please explain what spots is min-raising good?

To explain my min-raise, this was quite standard at the table pre-flop just to get some money going in the pot. I felt that my hand was not super strong PLO hand (ok - I ingnored the fact it was 3 handed). The other two would definately call a min-raise but probably fold to a pot-sized raise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast