Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tournement play discussion with heading

zero is offline PNW Semi-Pro

Default tournement play discussion with heading

During the sunday apa tourney tonight, i mixed up my play by playing the hand very differently to how i normally would....BLINDS 200/400UTG+1 (damiem Carroll - approx - 10k stack) raises to 1200, MP2 (unknown players approx 8k stack -cold calls), BB (me - approx 12k stack) has QQ...9 times out of ten i reraise here or push... however, i had no idea what sort of player MP2 was other than being told "he was a rock" and i thought i may be able to disguise my hand well, although giveing overs a chance and hopefully win a big pot... it was mixing it up but hey..so i CALLpot is 3800... FLOP comes K10Q rainbowi check, DC bets 2500( i almost put him on AJ at this point but perhaps two pair or tptk with gutshot), the "rock" reraises to 4700 (obviously trong as well)... i go all in for approx 10.5k and they both call with AJ (broadway)...Firstly, i think postflop this play is fine against two opponents, but what does everyone else think?I ran the situation in pokerstove and i have 35% equity against two AJ hands and thus this play is surely justified as i am getting more than 2 to 1 on my money (this is the worst case scenario):Text results appended to pokerstove.txt60,838,108 games 48.906 secs 1,243,980 games/secBoard: Qd Kh TcDead:equity (%) win (%) tie (%)Hand 1: 32.0403 % 00.00% 32.06% { AcJd }Hand 2: 32.0403 % 00.00% 32.06% { AdJh }Hand 3: 35.9193 % 35.79% 00.15% { QcQs }based on the players having the hands that they were likely to have, ie TT+,ATs+,KTs+,AJo+ i have the following equity and am way ahead...Text results appended to pokerstove.txt10,291,605 games 27.531 secs 373,818 games/secBoard: Qd Kh TcDead:equity (%) win (%) tie (%)Hand 1: 26.8751 % 17.89% 02.99% { TT+, ATs+, KTs+, AJo+ }Hand 2: 26.8869 % 17.90% 02.99% { TT+, ATs+, KTs+, AJo+ }Hand 3: 47.2380 % 57.90% 00.33% { QcQs }What does everyone think, ie why was my postflop play bad assuming the preflop decision was made to induce such a situation?
    Finance, Investing, Stock Market, Trading | James Cox Finance Blog>

davidwrunner is offline PNW Grinder

Zero, not wrong - just all about risk v reward imho.You had a great chance to win a big hand here but to do so u had to give away the chance that your 2 opponents outflop u.They did!When the board is that dangerous - one rock bets and the other raises - can u fold?? I wish i was good enough to fold here - depending on the tourney - how fast are the blinds rising, can i still be competitive if I fold.You are about a 30% chance of hitting your full - that means u miss 7 out of 10.Maybe I'm too passive/weak
    If you're not pissed off at the world - you're just not paying attention

"You are about a 30% chance of hitting your full - that means u miss 7 out of 10.Maybe I'm too passive/weak" - in cahs games i call every time as im about 35% at worst as explained below and im getting more than 2 to 1 ... simple yeh? but the question is ... b/c it is a tourney should i fold not want to lose? what are ppls opinions?

ctb
    ctb is offline PNW Amateur

I would give it serious thought.I would also have to consider other factors like1) Positions to go till the money.2) Ave stack size.3) Do I feel lucky?If close to the money, I would fold and hopefully get one spot closer.You haven't put a gaint amount into the pot yet, as long as you're not a short stack, and it seems you weren't, you can fold and still be a chance.Personally, I would shove my chips in, in the hope that one had 2 pair and the other was open ended.i would then pray to the poker god (or devil - i don't care) and give me that fourth Queen.Cookie

BoxerShorts is offline PNW Amateur

Preflop, I don’t mind calling an early raise with QQ to hide your strength but I tend to play passive. If and A or a K flops, you can let the hand go relatively cheaply to any strong bets. Once the Q flops, it's very hard to get away from the set. If you push preflop with a re-raise, the only hands that are going to call you down are the hands you don’t want to see like AA, KK or AK. However, in this case, a preflop re-raise might have won the pot for you there and then. Personally I'm not calling a re-raise with AJ but others might.On the flop, well, I push all in here too. Your objective is to win the tournament. DC's flop bet could be just a move with nothing or TPTK, the other guys re-raise could have been a set of tens, AA, KQ or KJ with a straight draw. I have no problem with your play. Even if you read AJ and you are an underdog, you have pretty good potential here to almost triple your stack and eliminate 2 players as well if you can pair the board and overtake their straights. I figure odds of approx 1.56:1 which aint that unhealthy. Of turn and river cards, there are 903 combinations from 43 cards - 352 help you, 551 don't help. I find "combination" analysis more beneficial when faced with an All-in on the flop scenario.Another consideration is that you wont be eliminated by a loss. Sure you'll be in dangerous territory at around 2k chips but still in the game and people have come back from worse positions than that.You just gotta work on your luck and getting the board to pair up when you need it to. A huge hand and obviously the turning point of your tourney. I think you were just unlucky to come up against 2 made straights and equally unlucky to not make the boat for a huge win.GL at the TablesBoxer
    People say I have a bad attitude. Those people are stupid.

nice ppl, i think my odds were more than 2to1 on the flop though boxer shorts, ...also i did hit the full and won a monster pot which let me cruise till the top 3

BoxerShorts is offline PNW Amateur

No guts, no glory. I thought you'd lost cos towards the end of your post you wrote "dead" so I assumed you didn't hit the boat. Well done.
    People say I have a bad attitude. Those people are stupid.

Matt Spratt is offline PNW Amateur

I fold in that spot 0% of the time, and move all-in 100% of the time.Results though, please, zero. =) Did you run into KK or something?

Andre28 is offline PNW Semi-Pro

I think he ran into 2 AJ hands, but turned a full

two AJ's and hit my full on the turn lovely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast