Thread: HORSE Strategy for PNC ? 4 out of 5 aint bad ?

luckyshades is offline PNW Elite

Default HORSE Strategy for PNC ? 4 out of 5 aint bad ?

I am planning on playing the $1100 HORSE event at the Poker News Cup, despite probably being the deadest of dead money in this event.I can't imagine that everyone intending to play this event is an expert in all 5 disciplines, so I'm wondering what you do when you get to a game you don't play as well as the others.In my example, I am pretty awful at Razz, and would consider myself only competent in 7 Card Stud 8 or better. The other games I have a good grasp of, and whilst certainly not being great, I can hold my own.Quite frankly, I have a very -ev expectation in this event. That doesn't bother me so much as I think it will be a strong field and interesting competition, but I'd like to at least be able to tread water so to speak.Any advice ?

Hannibal is offline PNW Grinder

If you know that you're -ev, then save your money, whats the point
    Maybe the man was right......

For 2 reasons.Firstly, I think it will be interesting. I love the challenge of sitting down with good players at the table, and I'm sure this event will have several of them.Secondly, I'd like to think that at some point in the future I won't be -EV in HORSE events, and I think that having some live tournament experience will help me in becoming a better player.

Hannibal is offline PNW Grinder

Hey if you're willing to spend $1100 on a buy in to gain some Tournament time were you say that your the fish then all power to you Sir.
    Maybe the man was right......

Sea of Ghosts is offline PNW Grinder

and would consider myself only competent in 7 Card Stud 8 or better. Save $1000 and buy into the 7 Card Stud tournament for only $100. Play a tournament where at least you have an edge not one where you are miles behind the field.Your money though, your choice.

Punty is offline PNW Semi-Pro

You will not be the "deadest of dead money" in that event. Im sure there will be plenty of fish. Not as in being inexperienced but as in "he raised with an ace showing, must be on a low draw, my TT4 is good here. Hope he doesnt fluke half the pot again!"Anyway, they say razz is the easiest form of the game to learn. Read an article/chapter on it and you should be ok, probably +EV on the field.And play tight, particularily when not confident in the game vs your opponents.
    I DONT CARE!

Maybe I should re-phrase. I don't mean to imply that I've never played HORSE events before. I know how to play all 5 games. I'm just being realistic, that I'm not one of the best HORSE players in the event. I also wont be the worst.What I was really asking is that if you know that one of the games is a weakness for you, how do you adjust your overall tournament strategy ?

Thanks Punty!

Dean Banana P is offline PNW Semi-Pro

lol, i'm playing in it and i'm 0 for 5...I donk in any game.
    "Jerry Yang and his full support, what a true champion, it was great spending the whole weekend with him" - God's gift to poker players, OBE Sir Frank Wiese.

KASEACEdotCOM is offline PNW Grinder

Thought about playing this event as well, but I hate RAZZ and Stud is to slow for me, so I am thinking about hitting the PLO event. I just don't like the {REBUY} part of it. Anyways bro, whats date you getting down there. Thanks for the advise on accom. I booked today. Talk soon...Good Luck To All
    St Patricks Tavern "seven hills" is where the REAL poker is at !!!