Thread: (OT) Opinion on Lions trade deal - Wood for 14th pick for Johnstone

yoyo is offline PNW Elite

Default (OT) Opinion on Lions trade deal - Wood for 14th pick for Johnstone

the Lions gave Cameron Wood (204cm young tall ruck with heaps of promise) to Collingwood for 14th pick which they then gave to Demons for Travis JohnstoneIt doesn't make sense to me. I know Brisbane ruck stocks are strong atm (Charman and leuenberger) but I dont' think you can have too many big men. Bris let a potential superstar in Wood go for an aging mediocre midfielder in Travis Johnstone - this can't be right. The brisbane midfield is magnificient with heaps of young stars becoming seasoned players. Johnstone might not even get a game. Can anyone make sense of this madness?

edyeinz is offline PNW Lurker

Yer doesn't really make sense to me. The only thing I can think of is the previous players Brisbane have taken on board and turned into star players (ie. Mal Michael) or some players that have served us well for several seasons (ie. blake caracella or martin pike). Since Brisbane has signed Charman and have Leunberger, with the option of playing Merrit or Brennan in the ruck, I somewhat understand the trade. After all, Brisbane could use another veteran with the retirements of Scott and Johnson this season.
    "you're fired lenny..."

modus is offline PNW Grinder

A young ruckman who can barely get a look in for a senior game in the past three seasons and is traded for a first round pick is awesome not matter what the individuals potential is, potential is exactly that just potential nothing else. Example: Marty Clarke the Irishman who picked up an afl football for the first time in his life October last year has played more games this year than what Cameron Wood has since being drafted in 2004.In regards to Travis Johnstone he is a classy midfielder who will fit in nicely for Brisbane. You already have a decent stable of midfielders who can support Travis who will in turn create same amazing drive for you, which you currently need especially through the center. At Melbourne Travis was the main focus and was shut out of the game without any support from other demon players, when Travis broke free Melbourne would win. Seriously watch & enjoy Travis burn the grass through the corridor and wings, I’d say win for Brisbane.
    It is better to trust the eyes rather than the ears.

hmm if he's got pace I guess that's ok - we need a bit more pacehe's old though, what does he have, a couple seasons left in him?

a good 5 years, no injury history

Deep Blue is offline PNW Lurker

Travis Johnstone a mediocre midfielder...lolmight not even get a game...lolhe will be second pick behind black every week!

TassieDevil is offline PNW Semi-Pro

Jonny, I'm surprised by this because when I first saw the deal I thought the complete opposite to you. I think Brisbane have done well here. I was shocked to see Collingwood give up a first round pick for a raw, unproven player, and then I thought Brisbane have done well to pick up one of the better players out there that were up for grabs.Johnstone still has plenty of good years left in him. He took a while to develop but you've picked up a developed, classy, pacey, skillful, ex #1 draft pick in exchange for unproven, undeveloped player.I think the trade indicates that your administration doesn't think you are far off being a premiership contender in the next few years. Compared to Melbourne who are probably happy to get a first round pick and develop their youth, and the Pies who were pretty desperate for a big man.
    Head to Poker Asia Pacific for the latest Australian poker news, results, blogs and the best Australian poker forum.

I think on what the Lions showed late in the year, only a blind bat would not consider them close to premiership contenders over next few years. I see your point - the rebuilding has been done, now its time to polish the package, pick up a Martin Pike style contributor. If this Travis Johnstone fellow (who I admit I don't know much about) has pace and runs relatively injury-free, I guess its a pretty good move.I think you'll see Brisbane open in top 4-6 for betting for the flag next year.

"Matthews was upbeat at securing the Demons' 2005 best and fairest winner Johnstone, who joins the club after 160 games with Melbourne.""The opportunity to pick up a top grade experienced midfielder doesn't come around too often," Matthews said of Johnstone."Therefore sacrificing a young developing ruckman in Cameron Wood was judged to be a reasonable trade from the Lions’ point of view.""And we have been able to obtain Travis Johnstone at a very reasonable cost because the Melbourne Football Club will be paying for the majority of his first year contract."

UrPopShdvWrnARu bba is offline PNW Novice

howmuchwoodwouldawoodchuckchuckifawoodchuckcouldch uckwood?