Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Staking a Player Online

  1. #1
    Poker Est.'s Avatar
    Poker Est. is offline PNW Amateur
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    310

    Default Staking a Player Online

    Hi guys,

    I am planning to stake one of my players online and wanted to basically know what the normal arrangement for this is .... not that anything is really normal !

    Please tell me what is reasonable for a relatively unproven player :

    - 50% or 60% of winnings or
    - Payback + 50% of winnings or
    - Payback + 25% of winnings

    I really don't know what is fair and "normal"

    Help hugely appreciated
    Sydney's Premier Deepstack Poker League

  2. #2
    Baron Vo Mandor is offline PNW Semi-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,250

    Default Re: Staking a Player Online

    Gee's mate u'll have every Tom/Dick and Harry begging for ur hard earned now lol.

  3. #3
    thret is offline PNW Elite
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,676

    Default Re: Staking a Player Online

    Full makeup and 50% of profit is standard. For a one-off backing 80% of profit no makeup. You would adjust the % based on what you think their EV is, once the deal is in place you would game select based on their performance (adding higher buyins if they do well, removing rebuys if they do bad etc.).

    But then I've never been backed so I have no first-hand experience.

    Why would you back a relatively unproven player? All things being equal there is a high probability of failure.
    How did you learn to play poker? By playing darts? - The Grand
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. - Mark Twain
    Prosperity supposes capacity. Win the lottery, and you are an able man. Have but luck, and you will have the rest; be fortunate, and you will be thought great. - V Hugo

  4. #4
    Baron Vo Mandor is offline PNW Semi-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,250

    Default Re: Staking a Player Online

    Does makeup mean paying back the initial amount that was staked?

  5. #5
    TurnRiva's Avatar
    TurnRiva is offline PNW Semi-Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    8 bet bluffing
    Posts
    1,134

    Default Re: Staking a Player Online

    50/50 with makeup or anywhere from 30/70-85% no make up..

    Make up means if the stake is reset or ended, that any loses will be paid back in future stakes profit..

  6. #6
    DaNRL's Avatar
    DaNRL is offline PNW Grinder
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    791

    Default Re: Staking a Player Online

    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Est. View Post
    Hi guys,

    I am planning to stake one of my players online and wanted to basically know what the normal arrangement for this is .... not that anything is really normal !

    Please tell me what is reasonable for a relatively unproven player :

    - 50% or 60% of winnings or
    - Payback + 50% of winnings or
    - Payback + 25% of winnings

    I really don't know what is fair and "normal"

    Help hugely appreciated
    Tell me who it is and I'll tell you what the percentage should be
    The Penguin is a survivor - he will be there at the end

  7. #7
    KASEACEdotCOM's Avatar
    KASEACEdotCOM is offline PNW Grinder
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Staking a Player Online

    Quote Originally Posted by thret View Post

    Why would you back a relatively unproven player? All things being equal there is a high probability of failure.

    Hmmmmmm Wonky come to mind.....If someone would have backed him, they would of had a nice payday. I dont know what was arranged, but he ended up winning said event.

    I think backing people is not a bad idea, sometimes you have to go with someone you feel good with. you have to spend money to make money....GL
    St Patricks Tavern "seven hills" is where the REAL poker is at !!!

  8. #8
    aids2480 is offline PNW Amateur
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: Staking a Player Online

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Vo Mandor View Post
    Gee's mate u'll have every Tom/Dick and Harry begging for ur hard earned now lol.
    hi my names tom and people are always calling me dick.keen to stake?

  9. #9
    thret is offline PNW Elite
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,676

    Default Re: Staking a Player Online

    Quote Originally Posted by KASEACEdotCOM View Post
    Hmmmmmm Wonky come to mind.....If someone would have backed him, they would of had a nice payday. I dont know what was arranged, but he ended up winning said event.

    I think backing people is not a bad idea, sometimes you have to go with someone you feel good with. you have to spend money to make money....GL
    You're welcome to back me any time.
    How did you learn to play poker? By playing darts? - The Grand
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. - Mark Twain
    Prosperity supposes capacity. Win the lottery, and you are an able man. Have but luck, and you will have the rest; be fortunate, and you will be thought great. - V Hugo

  10. #10
    Poker Est.'s Avatar
    Poker Est. is offline PNW Amateur
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Staking a Player Online

    Thanks heaps all ..... thret in particular your response was awesome..

    DaNrl ...... like tits on a bull your response ... lol

    Come to Brewhouse on friday Dan ... Jymmi is bounty and has to wear the big gold woggy chain !
    Sydney's Premier Deepstack Poker League

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •