Thread: Help a student out =)

Procession is offline PNW Novice

Default Help a student out =)

Hello Pokernetwork,

I am a journalism student in my first year of my studies and will soon have to do a profile piece on someone with an interesting career or standing in society. I have long had a passion for poker and would like to do my profile on a person who makes the majority of their living playing poker both online and/or live.

Although obviously i would love to aim to get an interview for this from Ivey or Dwan or someone of that standing i am obviously better off aiming a little lower.
    In actual fact i think the feature article would be much better if it showed a person outside of the poker spotlight who simply made enough to pay the bills and live the life they wish to live.

This is where i am hoping this forum will help me. Any volunteers or contacts would be greatly appreciated or even some suggestions or ideas! Thanks alot.
    Last edited by Procession; 01-04-2010 at 01:58 AM.

DanChile is offline PNW Grinder

Default Re: Help a student out =)

Quote Originally Posted by Procession View Post
    have to do a profile piece on someone with an interesting career or standing in society... profile on a person who makes the majority of their living playing poker both online and/or live.

In 1st for nomination for Grant "Grunter" Levy...
    - Luck of the draw & player observation will always rule the day...
    - For every strategy employed there is a counter strategy to balance...

risk2Dupside is offline PNW Elite

who simply made enough to pay the bills
    oh hai dere

grunter is offline PNW Elite

does Procession have anything to do with the ATO?
    pz to all

Strong Play is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by grunter View Post
    hof read
    Seriously rickwaa be more of a loser.

hip
    hip is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by grunter View Post
    your on a higher level

P0kerm8 is offline PNW Lurker

i am obviously better off aiming a little lower.
    lol - way to get volunteers

SkyNgger is offline PNW Amateur

I am a journalism student in my first year of my studies and will soon have to do a profile piece on someone with an interesting career or standing in society.
    I nominate Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by ecco View Post
    Okey dokey. I don't want to bore people too much, but here we go.

I'm a Sydneysider. I work as a town planner, but frankly don't enjoy it anymore - too much bureaucracy, politics and low-level corruption. Plus since the GFC my consultancy business has come to a grinding halt. So I really want this job!

Try to keep fairly active -cricket, baseball, swimming, beach. Although I find myself putting them aside more and more to play poker. I also love to travel, and apart from the dream job would love to go to some of the tournaments around the world - Poker Stars Carribbean Adventure sounds good!

I first got interested in poker because of Joe Hachem's win, I had no idea before then. I've been playing poker regularly for a little under 3 years. Started with freerolls at the local pub, before moving on to buy-in tournaments, firstly on the central coast of NSW then mostly in the St George area of Sydney when I moved back here 2 years ago.

I have had one big tournament win (by my standards) on Stars in a $33 tournament. A 5th in an APL Pro Open was also an achievement, although I let a big chip lead slip. I used to play mostly NLHE tourneys, but have found a profitable niche in Double Ups and now concentrate on them. Recently, I'm also moving into Omaha, especially Hi/Lo, but low level until I improve my game.

I do visit the forums regularly but have only just joined this one because of the Dream Job.

I really do try and be polite to other players,* or else keep my mouth shut(although of course I get annoyed at bad beats on bad play like anyone else). And I know that distinguishes me from at least 2 of the other finalists.

If you want to know anything more I'll be happy to answer. Thanks for your interest and good luck on the felt - real or virtual.

Peter Eccleston
    I apologise to whomever this joker "grunter levey" character is...and I'm sure he's a riot and the half of a laugh and a half and all that...

...but if you think it gets any more interesting than Peter, you - friend - would not recognise Interesting if it walked right up and yawned on you.