Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: open letter to the brains trust.

  1. #11
    Joey_Knish_09's Avatar
    Joey_Knish_09 is offline PNW Amateur
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

    Quote Originally Posted by sal fazzino View Post
    Lol. U think your dad is bad. Mine is quite possibly the worst online poker player on the planet. Take away the few scores where I was ghosting him and you'll get the picture (u should be able to guess which ones they are). It's so funny he refuses to listen to any advice I give him (even after I've proved him wrong) and insists he's just really unlucky. Check him out - melilli328 on stars
    I loled - ITM 3%

    [ ] Like father / like son

  2. #12
    thret is offline PNW Elite
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,676

    Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

    Quote Originally Posted by TrappedUnderIce View Post
    some of the very basic stuff like believing that people are more lucky than others
    Well, this may be a dictionary failure. By definition some have been lucky and some have not. However, if he believes that past results influence future results, or that luck is something which can be secured through rituals or prayer, then he shouldn't be playing anything as complicated as holdums.

    Btw Scott true luck exists for everyone who has any success in anything in life, and I would bet there are more 'professional' roulette/baccarat/bj players than poker players. Think about it... Compare the rake in poker vs those house games. Now consider the variance and the fact that there are several orders of magnitude higher volume in the -EV house games. There just has to be more successful coinflippers than poker players.
    How did you learn to play poker? By playing darts? - The Grand
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. - Mark Twain
    Prosperity supposes capacity. Win the lottery, and you are an able man. Have but luck, and you will have the rest; be fortunate, and you will be thought great. - V Hugo

  3. #13
    moffo47's Avatar
    moffo47 is offline PNW Grinder
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Watching Rickwaa 3b/f AK
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

    Quote Originally Posted by joey_knish_09 View Post
    i Loled - Itm 3%

    [x] Like Father / Like Son
    Fyp

  4. #14
    Scott Wilson is offline PNW Grinder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

    Quote Originally Posted by thret View Post
    Btw Scott true luck exists for everyone who has any success in anything in life, and I would bet there are more 'professional' roulette/baccarat/bj players than poker players. Think about it... Compare the rake in poker vs those house games. Now consider the variance and the fact that there are several orders of magnitude higher volume in the -EV house games. There just has to be more successful coinflippers than poker players.
    profitable is not the same as professional.
    success can be achieved without luck.

  5. #15
    pokerpimp's Avatar
    pokerpimp is offline PNW Semi-Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Central Coast
    Posts
    1,803

    Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

    Quote Originally Posted by sal fazzino View Post
    Lol. U think your dad is bad. Mine is quite possibly the worst online poker player on the planet. Take away the few scores where I was ghosting him and you'll get the picture (u should be able to guess which ones they are). It's so funny he refuses to listen to any advice I give him (even after I've proved him wrong) and insists he's just really unlucky. Check him out - melilli328 on stars
    Mate,

    My dad takes his laptop to the local cock fights and calls me via 1800 - reverse to request Pokerstars transfers.

  6. #16
    thret is offline PNW Elite
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,676

    Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

    Professional just means that it is their primary source of income. Have you really never met someone who played house edge for a living?
    How did you learn to play poker? By playing darts? - The Grand
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. - Mark Twain
    Prosperity supposes capacity. Win the lottery, and you are an able man. Have but luck, and you will have the rest; be fortunate, and you will be thought great. - V Hugo

  7. #17
    djkelly69 is offline PNW Grinder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    500

    Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

    i just love the look on my father-in-law's face when i open fold A2o or something "good" UTG.

    "YOU HAD AN ACE!!!"

    i also sometimes use my wife as something of an auto-folder in freerolls into ANZPT/Lambo/whatever - she pretty much folds all the crap, then as soon as she gets a hand, she asks me what to do and i come over and play the hand.

    to actually help the OP, i would suggest non-turbo SNGs, one or two tables. they get a decent amount of play (given dads generally like to see flops), doesnt cost too much to buyin, and they will be "winning" some money a lot more often than in 180s or whatever (which is what they like to tell everyone about anyway).

  8. #18
    Scott Wilson is offline PNW Grinder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

    Quote Originally Posted by thret View Post
    Professional just means that it is their primary source of income. Have you really never met someone who played house edge for a living?
    i don't know jamie packer personally, no.

  9. #19
    Tony's Avatar
    Tony is offline PNW Elite
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,211

    Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

    LOL, Everyone in my family Despises Poker as do most of my friends, GF & Dog included.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •