Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open letter to the brains trust.

TrappedUnderIce is offline PNW Grinder
    hiding in late position, cause its an easier game that way.

Default open letter to the brains trust.

i've just been railing my dad playing 2.20 180 mans on stars, and some of the very basic stuff like believing that people are more lucky than others etc are rampant in his game.

is there any level of training site that will help re educate him? i can't seem to get through to him that in the long run you will win etc

i dont pretend to know it all, but i want to help him as he can play 5-6hr sessions of these and is losing money enough for mum to be like wtf is he doing.

through 2.20s

he is by no means serious, but plays enough that he should no longer believe that he in unlucky etc.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
    all i wanna do is party and bullshit.

skype - LKMURR

Scott Wilson is offline PNW Grinder

Default Re: open letter to the brains trust.

ask him whether he has ever met a professional roulette player

TrappedUnderIce is offline PNW Grinder
    hiding in late position, cause its an easier game that way.

how does this help me scott wilson?
    all i wanna do is party and bullshit.

skype - LKMURR

risk2Dupside is offline PNW Elite

My gf plays occasionally and doesn't have too much of an idea on how to play, so I get her to play low stakes/regular speed 18-45 mans. The structures of these mean even if you're a losing player you're not going to lose your money as quickly as in a 180 man turbo.

As for training sites, you probably have everything in your arsenal to get him started; teach him some basic starting hands, shoving stacks, the importance of position/gap theory and some really basic lines with his hands and let him rip. When he has questions, answer them, and then if he still seems keen ship him a copy of Harrington on Holdem or something.

Ice Bird is offline PNW Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by risk2Dupside View Post
    As for training sites, you probably have everything in your arsenal to get him started; teach him some basic starting hands, shoving stacks, the importance of position/gap theory and some really basic lines with his hands and let him rip. When he has questions, answer them, and then if he still seems keen ship him a copy of Harrington on Holdem or something.
    I know both TUI and "Papa Bear" very well. I think that Trapped was asking for training sites because, it may be a case of:
    "I dont believe my son but I may believe an internet site"........

risk2Dupside is offline PNW Elite

lol, buy him Harrington on Holdem then

sal fazzino is offline PNW Amateur

Lol. U think your dad is bad. Mine is quite possibly the worst online poker player on the planet. Take away the few scores where I was ghosting him and you'll get the picture (u should be able to guess which ones they are). It's so funny he refuses to listen to any advice I give him (even after I've proved him wrong) and insists he's just really unlucky. Check him out - melilli328 on stars
    ugritaly

FSL009 is offline PNW Grinder

Deuces Cracked is a training site and they have sufficient content that is available for free to get him started. if he wants more than that then can pay the fees.

They are practical videos mostly of actual play and discussion on what the player is doing poorly, well, etc.

So no reading....they seem to be designed for the poker player so he may need a hand with his. (langauge and slang stuff i mean)

I dont go to their forums much but they seem to have decent conversation on hands if not slow, but easier to have faith in it seeing it is a training site and hopefully the coaches use the forums to promote their ability.

anyway the vids are pretty easy to find.

outside of this, PTR - not great but has some articles and stuff worth reading from time to time, just he cant use it when playing to data mine opponents.
    I know nobody does this cause its against the rules and conditions that you sign up to right......and therefore couldnt possibly happen.

I would also get him using a very simple HEM HU display if possible. just the basics. so that he can get a feel for tight/loose, aggressive/passive stuff. it will help him for sure.

HOH is good but he has a new one out H on online poker (HUDs and 6 max and various non-live forms of the game). I imagine he would deal with 180 SNGs.

Cheers
    Last edited by FSL009; 28-07-2010 at 07:31 AM.

BadMove is offline PNW Lurker

All good advice from above... and great if he's willing to listen and learn. I have friend who insists he's the unluckiest poker player on earth. I remind him that he plays $1 tournaments amost exclusively... except for one home game I was at where he hit a 2 outer for a $200 pot... the biggest pot he'd played by a factor of about 50. He still doesn't get it...

Scott Wilson is offline PNW Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by TrappedUnderIce View Post
    how does this help me scott wilson?

m8 I actually thought about ur post for quite a bit

i started writing things about variance and probability, then realised that ur dad will either say he understands these concepts and forget them in the heat of the moment, or reject them outright.

a better way to start is with an indisputable fact - that poker is a game of skill as evidenced by the vast number of profitable professional players who make a living from poker as opposed to the complete lack of professional roulette players. why is this?

it's a starting point only, but it might set a basis for discussing what the pros do, how they handle variance, how they gain maximum value from hands, how they bluff, the importance of position and all the other tools players need.

once he has bought into poker as a game of skill, gently introduce the concept of long-term variance and the absence of luck. (if he has a share portfolio you can draw a parallel between playing a lot of hands to eliminate variance in poker and owning many different shares to eliminate diversifiable risk in shares. it's the same concept.)

true 'luck' only exists for a very small number of players who cash large at the WSOP ME (or similar). these guys may experience positive variance in $$ terms (overall good luck) over their entire careers simply by winning a single crucial 2-outer hand that ends up winning them a million dollars. they might never have enough bad beats in their career to offset that one piece of incredible luck. but that's a tiny handful of players.

I'm sure that training sites cover variance in great detail, but I hope this helps anyway.

cheers.

p.s. 18 player turbo sngs are a very good format. 180-player sngs are awful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast