Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Serious question now that online pokers dead - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious question now that online pokers dead

deadmoney is offline PNW Grinder

Default Re: Serious question now that online pokers dead

Quote Originally Posted by dave798111 View Post
    OK this post certainly suggests that you are not in fact a moron so I withdraw that comment insofar as I applied it to you.

I disagree with you regarding the taxation issue being settled, but that's for another day.

I guess what I am confused about is this - which full time players on this forum espouse their own virtues? Can you name some of them? I understand that some of them post in a cliquey kind of way, with a lot of in-jokes etc. That is really a function of them all knowing each other, and spending 30+ hours per week playing the game that forms the basis of this forum against each other. It doesn't really have anything to do with whether they are making a lot of money.

I may be wrong, but I can't recall anyone making any brash statements about how much they win from poker. I know that poker reporting websites and mainstream newspapers often misrepresent the amount that people win, particularly by implying that a person's gross winnings are equivalent to their profits. However this is obviously not the fault of the players on this forum.

I know Joel personally, and I think I probably know most of the other people who post in a fashion similar to Joel. Their sarcasm and 'superior' attitude don't stem from the fact that they believe they are better at poker than everyone else. They are just individuals with a very dry, caustic wit. Joel takes the same attitude regarding issues about which it is clear to him and everyone else that he knows absolutely nothing.

If you read through the beginners' and hand history forums, I think you will find countless instances of full-time players attempting to assist less experienced players.

Ultimately I have read through this thread and I don't understand the hatred and vitriol spewing from numerous people, or at least I don't understand the severity of it. It seems a lot of people are very keen to tear down the guys who play full-time. This is a fairly unique phenomenon, as people who participate recreationally in other activities have a tendency to support and respect other people who enjoy the same activity but do so professionally. I suppose this stems from the fact that in a sense people appoint themselves as 'professional' poker players, so the delineation between the recreational and professional player is less clear.

In any event given this forum is unmoderated now, I guess that I would suggest that people who seem to be reasonably intelligent such as yourself consider what you are actually trying to achieve when you post here. There will always be some extremist idiots, but when increasing numbers of relatively normal posters hop on board the hate train, it becomes fairly unnattractive for anyone, whether 'professional' or recreational, to post anything worthwhile whatsoever here. That's what you have seen over the last few months, and I guess to a large extent that doesn't really bother me. So why am I making this post? I don't really know. But I've made it now so here it is.
    A+ Post more please
    PokerStars has my testicles locked firm in their purse and Im doing nothing but donating........

murraycod1 is offline PNW Lurker

Talking Re: Serious question now that online pokers dead

time for a pnw pro - am

robdon is offline PNW Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Diplomatic Immunity View Post

But if you are scraping by from poker earning a wage, and still living with your parents or in rented accommodation ....

It is inevitale that one day in the future, I and all those working and paying taxes for a living will support you. This is the truth as it applies to 99% of people on this website who think the green felt is where their future lies.
    I know you are directing this at some poker players who feel their future lies on the felt as you put it BUT I dont like some of the things your saying and as I dont know you personally I will try and not type anything that may sound as a personal attack on you.

Yes there are people out there that will never make the average wage in regular jobs and of course in poker. in saying that perhaps some people love their job and its not just all about the money. Same for poker players maybe they may just break even or make a few bucks here and there or excell who cares if this is what they love doing let them do it.

Some people may also never buy a house but still love their low paying job, so they have to rent but are you saying they are not equal human beings. Cause by the sounds of it to you we all have to own our homes or we dont cut it??

Some people may choose to live with their parents just because it suits them and this can be a financial benifit in many ways. But you seem to think this makes them less of a person.

Also some people may make a ton of money but still need help from the government in assistance because somtimes life doesnt always flow the way we want it too.

I dont play poker for a living but in the last 12 months I have done it tough due to circumstances beyond my control. I have had to live with my inlaws, I have had to put my hand out to the gov for money and I have had to rent and currently still rent even though I hate renting.

My point is whether or not someone makes "enough" money in a normal job, sales or even in poker but they are happy doing what they do who are you to judge how someone chooses to live their life?

Are you suggesting that I choose to be a stay home dad and make a small income pay next to nothing in tax any less of a person??

pokerpimp is offline PNW Semi-Pro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strong Play
    pretty cool thread so far...

hopefully there will be some input from doctor dangerous, diplomatic immunity, uneducated, and maniacally challenged...

"All of the above imo are the interesting posters of this forum. Life contains variance and no opinion is correct [including yours]. All of these people [right or wrong] have worthy varied opinions and decent writing skills. Now if I were to crave input from you dodd's I know all I can expect is weak as fuck sarcastic one liners that offer nothing whatsoever. well played as always".

I copied the above post by usualsuspect on page 6 with the intent of Quoting it and giving him praise for a HOF level. However, upon reading the pages that followed i realised i was terribly mistaken.

Al
    Al is offline PNW Semi-Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diplomatic Immunity View Post
    ... or in rented accommodation ....
    You make it sound like this is a bad thing. Its not.

Heres an article from a guy who used to post on here actually.

Renting Vs Buying Property - 10 Factors that should Influence your decision | James Cox finance blog

Strong Play is offline Moderator

I still live at home...

I'm not sure why I should acquire my own property given that I would be "home" for at most 7 weeks of the year.
    Seriously rickwaa be more of a loser.

Diplomatic Immunity is offline PNW Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by robdon View Post
    Some people may also never buy a house but still love their low paying job, so they have to rent but are you saying they are not equal human beings. Cause by the sounds of it to you we all have to own our homes or we dont cut it??
    Rob,

My point here was that if a player ever aspires to own their own home then they will either have to earn enough to have saved for the full 100% amount of the house or they will never be able to get a loan because banks like to see proof of income with ATO assessments etc.

What I was trying to say here is that a poker player who does not contribute to society via taxes will find it hard to get what we all want when we are old - the security of our own home - as they will find it extremely difficult to obtain the things normal people take for granted such as a home loan

That was all

Baron Vo Mandor is offline PNW Semi-Pro

Good to see Strong Play is looking his petty egotistical self as usual.

random_chu is offline PNW Amateur

random_chu is offline PNW Amateur

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast