Thread: Bad beat

harry6664 is offline PNW Novice

Default Bad beat

Hi. Looking for some advice. Playing online poker at small stakes cash game. 5c 10c blinds. I had suited hearts a queen and three. I chased the flush and hit it on the river. I think he raised and i re raised. He re raised again and I called. I was beaten with what I think was a full house possibly four of a kind. The show didn't stay for long on the screen. Anyway hoping to learn any tips hints or advice about this style of hand so I don't get a bad beat again. Obviously didn't know much about the other bloke or his game in the short time i was playing. Cheers

Guru Bob is offline PNW Lurker

Default Re: Bad beat

Quote Originally Posted by harry6664 View Post
    Hi. Looking for some advice. Playing online poker at small stakes cash game. 5c 10c blinds. I had suited hearts a queen and three. I chased the flush and hit it on the river. I think he raised and i re raised. He re raised again and I called. I was beaten with what I think was a full house possibly four of a kind. The show didn't stay for long on the screen. Anyway hoping to learn any tips hints or advice about this style of hand so I don't get a bad beat again. Obviously didn't know much about the other bloke or his game in the short time i was playing. Cheers
    Bad beat is when you have a good hand and someone calls your bets and chases with junk(say Q 3) and hits a river to beat you.
    Your hand was NEVER in front..........You did not suffer a bad beat.

The first thing you have to learn is that if there is a pair on the board and people are betting your str8 or flush is probably no good.To raise here is suicidal;to reraise is sheer stupidity.
    I am a poker player NOT a gambler

clarence is offline PNW Railbird

welcome back Bob
    Horses don't bet on people.

mhfc1987 is offline PNW Lurker

you should have never been in there with Q3, as said above, if you had of won the hand you would have had a bad beat against him.

Chasing a flush isnt always the right idea, only when your priced in and value is right, and your chasing the nut flush or 2nd nut flush, i wouldnt advice you chasing to many, and i would advice not playing Q3 unless from big blind and its been checked to you.

Yorkshire Pudding is offline Super Moderator

Without the full details of the hand it is difficult to give advice, but as a rule you shouldn't be in there with Qh3h.

For future hands give as much details as possible, such as stack sizes, your position in relation to the button, your opponents position and any reads or statistics you may have.

Good luck

barry_gallagher is offline PNW Novice

You are doing the right thing by posting up the hand looking for advice. This is how you improve your game! As Yorkshire Pudding says for a proper analysis we would need to see the details he mentioned. If your playing on Pokerstars you can click the instant hand history button to get all the relevant details. Every poker site will allow you to check the hand history to analyse your past hands.

If the board was paired on the river when you hit the flush depending on his bet size you probably had to call it down (even though chasing with the Q3 was a bad idea). A raise wasn't a good idea though because it reopens the betting, he only calls you with a higher flush and in your case reraises you with full houses or quads. Once you get reraised in this spot, you should mash the fold button as your hand is defo no good.

mhfc1987 is offline PNW Lurker

Sometimes if you do get caught in a position like this and your unsure check then if a bet is made and you feel you maybe infront but not confident then just flat call, better then re-popping, then getting moved on when your comminted then.