Thread: Respect or money?

JK.
    JK. is offline PNW Elite

Default Respect or money?

What would you have done if you were in my shoes?
    Yesterday morning,very late,when most poker players are sleeping,I was watching the sport news.
    I follow Aussie and European sport.
    The interesting result was Germany versus Sweden in a group game to make the next World Cup.
    I also Australia beat Iraq in a great finish to win 2-1.
    Back to Germany and Sweden game.Sweden was down 4-0 and came back in the last minute to draw 4-4.
    A great game to watch and an amazing comeback from theSwedes.
    Anyhow,I returned to my club in the afternoon to see my players watching the game on the TV.
    Germany was leading 4-0 at this stage and the players went crazy taking bets on how many goals Germany would win by.The favourite margins were 5-0 and 6-0.
    They knew I like a bet and asked me to get involved.
    I said that I would like to put a few thousand on Germany to only win by one goal or the game end in a draw.

I was swamped with bets as Germany was looking like they were going to add a few more.
    We settled for a small fortune but before there was another score I told them that it was not fair andall bets were off.
    I told them that I saw the game and that there was a surprise result.I didn't tell them the score incase others wanted to bet.We watched the rest of the game and one by one Sweden clawed back to an exciting draw.

After the game the players all comented that I could have made a fortune if I had not told them I knew the result.
    Aussies have a good reputation in Rusia and I could sense just a fraction more respect from the Russian players.
    I felt I did my little bit for poker.
    I put respect before monetary gain.
    What would you have done?
    Last edited by JK.; 18-10-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    John Kocbek.

PlsNo2Outers is offline PNW Lurker

Default Re: Respect or money?

Done in true Style.

THE RESPECT is more important.

There are other ways to make a $$$

Just like poker... I play only to play for the thrill of a big tourney... if i bink some $$$ all the better... but the money is not the motivation to play poker.... just like you.. the money is not the motivator

pokeraussie is offline PNW Lurker

Kudos to you sir. The more maniac Russians you can bring to the cash game tables here in Australia the better imo.

I would have done the same thing. Once you ruin your reputation, there's no coming back from it.

JK.
    JK. is offline PNW Elite

Thanks boys.
    Pokeraussie,you are so right.You only need to do the wrong thing once and the reputation sticks with you for the rest of your life.
    In my kind of work,reputation is very important.
    John Kocbek.

Brian McDonald is offline PNW Grinder

I would have bet them for all the cash they had plus next month's wages and then after the game was over I would have let them pay with photos of the the dealer with the giant boobs then I would have posted those photos on this website for all the boys to see what you promised to put up here but so far have failed to do so. It's a Fine Cotton mess you've gotten us into.
    70.000 MEMBERS
    60,000 BOGANS
    9,999 RACISTS
    1 Eddie Everywhere

JK.
    JK. is offline PNW Elite

Brian she won't let me take a photo.She thinks I am an Izvrashenjec(pervert).
    John Kocbek.

Brian McDonald is offline PNW Grinder

JK

It just goes to show, you can't fool kids or birds with big boobies. You should glory in the fact you're a dirty old man. Use it for all it's worth. Remember that sincerety is the most important thing in life and when you can fake that you've got it made.
    70.000 MEMBERS
    60,000 BOGANS
    9,999 RACISTS
    1 Eddie Everywhere