Thread: 5/10 Multi HU - too aggressive?

yoyo is offline PNW Elite

Default 5/10 Multi HU - too aggressive?

Assume avg-skilled opponent.***** Hand History for Game 2749325143 *****5/10 Texas Hold'em Game Table (Limit) - Wed Sep 21 05:03:34 EDT 2005Table Jolly Dolly (Real Money) -- Seat 3 is the buttonTotal number of players : 10Seat 1: tbee911 ( $208)Seat 2: CliffBoyd ( $166.50)Seat 3: joyphil ( $166.50)Seat 4: hindu777 ( $487.50)Seat 5: iLuvLoosey ( $473)Seat 6: La_Nicksage ( $217)Seat 7: dbird0 ( $266.50)Seat 8: RabbitHump ( $345.50)Seat 9: Zacharys_Dad ( $203)Seat 10: Ledar ( $340.48)hindu777 posts small blind (2)iLuvLoosey posts big blind (5)** Dealing down cards **Dealt to iLuvLoosey [ Qh, Kh ] La_Nicksage folds.dbird0 folds.RabbitHump folds.Zacharys_Dad folds.Ledar folds.tbee911 folds.CliffBoyd folds.joyphil calls (5)hindu777 folds.iLuvLoosey raises (5) to 10Easy raise, of course. joyphil calls (5)** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7c, 4c, Jh ] iLuvLoosey bets (5)Easy bet, of course.joyphil calls (5)** Dealing Turn ** : [ 8c ] iLuvLoosey bets (10)Here's where it gets tricky for me. I've raised out of position preflop. I bet flop, get called. Turn I am often at sea - but usually lean towards aggression. If I made a mistake in this hand, I think it was here - but checking turns after raising preflop and betting flop, is so weak - cause they will fire a bet in, whether they have it or not.joyphil calls (10)** Dealing River ** : [ 5c ] iLuvLoosey bets (10)I actually liked this card - I figure he CAN'T call now without a club.joyphil calls (10)The end result is irrelevant (decision focused, not result focused) - but for DanG, who I know will ask me for the final result.** Summary **Main Pot: $69 | Rake: $3Board: [ 7c 4c Jh 8c 5c ]tbee911 balance $208, didn't bet (folded)CliffBoyd balance $166.50, didn't bet (folded)joyphil balance $200.50, bet $35, collected $69, net +$34 [ 7h Td ] [ a pair of sevens -- Jh,Td,8c,7h,7c ]hindu777 balance $485.50, lost $2 (folded) iLuvLoosey balance $438, lost $35 [ Qh Kh ] [ high card king -- Kh,Qh,Jh,8c,7c ]yoyo

MakybeDiva is offline PNW Semi-Pro

Hand is yucky.One he calls the turn, he's either decided he's calling you down with a pair or he's chasing a one card flush, which he hit. I'm not sure about river, because only then (you would think) a good player would not call without an average club.I would've been petrified about betting this river unless a non club King or Queen hit.
    John Mayer's Continuum - overloading my iTunes

BigHef is offline PNW Railbird

I'm checking the turn and hoping for a free river, player reads like a calling station whos not going away even with as little as ace high (open limp the button, calls the flop. I don't know what hes folding on the turn which he doesnt fold on the flop). Even if hes only got A4, you're still done.Change ur hand to a big ace high and I bet the turn tho as you're beating hands those hands he might call down with such as that A4.Then again I've been getting called down by ace high in 5/10 6 max for ages now so maybe I'm a little gun shy with KQ

If you check this turn, you are surrendering the hand.Unless you know the opponent, bad advice.

Nathan is right - if you check out of position HU at 5/10 Party - 85% of time, you'll be facing a bet. Checking is surrendering.Many of the 5/10 players are really flop loose and turn weak...i.e. they'll call a lot of flops, if you continue with strength, they'll let it go on turn. If you show weakness, they'll fire - it's a fairly basic weak strategy, but can be really annoying. It forces me to overplay out of position sometimes. On the flipside, you can utilise it pretty effectively with check-raises when you have it. Unfortunately for me, I have it once for every ten times I don't, so...Having said that, I think this *might* be one of the few times where it would be ok to surrender and check. I'm waiting on Mike's/Van's thoughts, but I think they might agree. When he called the turn, I was praying for a club, cause I figured I had to be behind once he called. I knew a club gave me a 50%(?) chance of taking the hand. Is this good logic? Maybe even better than 50% chance?yoyo

pokerbok is offline Poker Crack

I don't think it's good logic at all. You assume that the guy is gonna lay down on the river cause there are 4 clubs if he doesnt have a club. I am not questioning any play in the hand, just ur happiness at a river club. If that was me in the hand behind you (I realise it's not and he might be worse / better / different), but if it was me, a holding that calls on the turn means a call on the river 95%+ of the time with the club coming out.

Hmmm interesting - so I'm overvaluing the chance of taking the hand when the 4th club hits. yoyo

My initial post:"One he calls the turn, he's either decided he's calling you down with a pair or he's chasing a one card flush, which he hit."Note one should read once.Pokerbok has just basically backed up what I had initially posted. I personally think once the opponent calls the turn, he is calling a GREAT majority of the time if he doesn't hit a high flush on the river, and even then he must CERTAINLY know that he is calling a bet on the river if a 4 card flush hits on the river itself.

PokerMike is offline PNW Railbird

I play it by betting turn, folding to a raise, and check folding river if he calls. The turn is your last stab at the pot and when he calls it means he has a piece of the board and isn't letting go - usually a club or top pair, so putting in any bets on the river is spewing. Raising preflop, betting the flop AND turn out of position is quite a show of strength, and once called on the turn you can safely assume you're screwed. A river bet is pretty bad here, its only correct if he will fold a pair(which i guess he should have) but you shouldn't think so because its inconsistent with his turn play. Check-fold river yo.