Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book Suited for Begginers??

danielg is offline PNW Elite

Default Book Suited for Begginers??

i want to buy a friend a book to get him started, just something which covers starting hands basic strategy etc.Any help much appreciated.CheersDan G

lilRay is offline PNW Amateur

"poker for dummies"Lou krieger
    Still looking for my Blog

Hendrix is offline PNW Railbird

ed miller's "other" book... "getting started in hold em poker"http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1880685345

Magpie is offline PNW Railbird

The Poker Players Bible Lou KriegerReadily available in Melb

Blu3B3ar is offline PNW Pro

Besides Krieger's book, Glazer's "Complete Idiots guide to poker" is an amazing book too. I wish those books where around when I got started with poker.The advantage of these dummies and idiots books is that they do not merely focus on dry maths/stats and technicalities, but they also focus in stimulating the interest of the reader with wide general background information and fascinating anecdotes while not being overwhelming at the same time. (And I personally find those books great for many different fields too). I'm not a big fan of buying a 2+2 book for a first time poker reader (unless it is ONLY basic strategy that he/she is looking for), the language tends to be dry, not too interesting, consists of dull presentation lacking pictures and it would not necessarily inspire a newer player to take a keen interest on the game (in my opinion).

AussieAsh is offline PNW Grinder

A good book for a "begginer" would be the Macquarie Dictionary :-)
    pokernetwork.com - A World Of Entertainment.

Kentish Man is offline PNW Lurker

Krieger's book is a good start. Depending on what game your friend is going to play Hellmuth's book is useful for absolute beginners playing limit hold em (didn't find the no limit section at all useful though) and even better is Hilger's 'Internet Texas Hold em'. Harrington's book is the best for no limit tournaments assuming a basic knowledge of the mechanics of the game.I would avoid Sklansky books and Super System for the time being. Excellent books but more suited for the intermediate.

modus is offline PNW Grinder

Internet Texas Hold'em, Winning Strategies from an Internet ProAuthor: Matthew HilgerGood for those who want a one-stop-shopping approach to Hold'em
    It is better to trust the eyes rather than the ears.

nietzsche1 is offline PNW Lurker

I strongly recommend Lee Jones' Winning Low Limit Holdem as a first holdem book for absolute beginners. I found that he presents the basics for limit holdem in a very accessible and straightforward way. He doesn't romanticise the game at all which makes for a less entertaining read than some other books, but in terms of explaining the fundamentals of starting hand selection, position and pot odds you can't go wrong. Anyone with motivation can beat the 4-8 players at crown on a regular basis (but probably not the rake!) after reading and digesting this book.

mattp is offline PNW Semi-Pro

I'll second Internet Texas Holdem by Hilger.Very readable, very usable, best starting hand charts around + it has some very good advanced stuff that makes it worth rereading. This book can take someone way past beginner, but is also great to start with.
    "The key to limit hold'em is to put a man to a decision for some of his chips"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast