HomeNews

Hanguk Fighting! Korea Wins JBet Battle of the Nations!

Posted at 13:28 2009-08-22
Team Korea has proved that the Korean poker players are far more competitive than their national soccer team after they took down the inaugural JBET Battle of the Nations event at the 2009 Asian Poker Tour Macau Festival. The team from the North East Asian peninsula were dominant throughout the event, all three members of Team Korea advanced to the final table on their way to an emphatic victory.
 
The team consisted of Brandon Wong, WSOP 2008 final table member David ‘Chino’ Rheem and Steve Sung and between them they notched up 106 points to win the overall team championship before a hand had even been dealt on the final table. The Vietnamese team finished a respectable second. Their team was made up of brothers Nam Le, Tommy Le, and Allan Le. However the talk was all about the Koreans who scored a very juicy HK$406,060 team championship prize.
 
David ‘Chino’ Rheem commented, “We’re all delighted that the Korean team picked up first place and that our win was so comprehensive. Halfway through I really thought it was going to be our day. It is always fantastic to win any poker tournament but it gives you something extra when national pride is at stake too!”
 
The Vietnamese salvaged some pride by claiming the top two individual awards, Allan Le won the top player award for a prize of HK$95,700 while his brother Nam Le picked up HK$52,200 for second. Third place went to David ‘Chino’ Rheem, who went home with an additional HK$26,100 on top of his share of the team bounty.
 
The JBET Battle of the Nations was the ninth side event at the 2009 Asian Poker Tour Macau. Teams came from all over the globe and included the 888Poker Team Australia, sponsored by 888.com. The Aussies were managed and captained by James “Welcome Back” Potter who joined forces with 2009 Aussie Millions Main Event winner Stewart Scott. Other countries who had teams representing them included Team USA (JC Tran, Quinn Do and Nam Le), Hong Kong (David Steicke and Johnny Chan), India (Vivek Rajkumar), China (David Chiu), Canada (Theo Tran), Belarus and Japan.
 
The Battle of the Nations was a team no limit hold’em tournament. Teams were made up of three members from the same country. Teams squared up against each other on six-handed tables. 13 teams took part giving us a total of 39 players. Every place was worth one point (eg. finish 39th you win one point). The prizepool was divided up between the winning team and the top three players overall. The event had a HK$48,000 buy-in. The prizepool was divided up with 70% going to the winning team and the remaining 30% going to the top three finishing players.
 
The Asian Poker Tour Macau hosts over 20 events with 15 official side events. Players can qualify to APT events on the following sites PartyPoker.com, BWin, PKR, 888.com, Titan Poker, RedKings and ChiliPoker. Such a vast array of satellite opportunities makes it very easy for players to qualify for these great tournaments, with the buy-in for the APT Macau Main Event set at HK$34,400.
 
Full details can be found at www.asianpt.com.

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to post one!

Register to leave a comment

The Winners of the JBet Battle of the Nations! The Winners of the JBet Battle of the Nations!

More recent articles