Who Will Become The Poker Star?
After many months of hard work in production, the most eagerly anticipated TV show of the year has hit TV screens. Australia’s first poker reality TV show, The Poker Star, is quickly becoming one of the most popular new series on Australian television.
The Poker Star is a major positive for the poker industry as poker reaches free-to-air television, with episodes screened on ONE HD at 8:30pm Wednesday evening with a replay on Network 10 at midnight Thursday
So what can we expect from The Poker Star? The series is the brainchild of 2005 World Champion Joe Hachem who plays the role of host as he take viewers into the lives of 11 everyday poker-loving Australians. They will be put to the test through a series of mental and physical challenges, competing against each other for the chance to win a life changing opportunity.
After more than 18,000 people applied to be part of the show, the following contestants were handpicked by Hachem himself and represent a wide cross-section of Australian society.
- Ben (aged 37, Victoria, owns and runs an advertising agency)
- Amanda (aged 33, Victoria, speech pathologist, mother of two)
- Chris (aged 26, Victoria, won a freeroll to earn a spot on the show)
- Martin (aged 48, NSW, emergency services worker, father of two)
- Sally (aged 24, NSW, bookmaker, been playing poker for three years)
- Donna (aged 29, NSW, marketing executive, former business owner)
- Josh (aged 27, Victoria, lawyer and classical pianist, keen online player)
- Katie (aged 26, Victoria, professional golfer, started out as a pub poker player)
- Shane (aged 26, NSW, sales consultant, like to wear poker paraphernalia)
- Ron (aged 60, Queensland, retired, Vietnam veteran, cancer survivor)
- Tom (aged 26, Victoria, bar owner, enjoys social aspects of poker)
At the end of each episode, Hachem, with the help of 2006 Aussie Millions champion and fellow PokerStars Sponsored player Lee “Final Table” Nelson, will judge the contestants’ performance in a series of challenges to determine who will return the following week.
Already we’ve seen players sent to the rail as the field starts to narrow. If you missed any episodes then check out the following articles for an insight into what you missed:
- Amanda De Cesare Crowned Australia's Newest Poker Star!
- Three Remain in The Poker Star
- The Joey Del Experience: Double Elimination in The Poker Star
- Katie Cut From The Poker Star
- The Poker Star Sends Ron To The Rail
- The Poker Star Says Goodbye Sally
- The Joey Del Experience: The Poker Star Episode Two
- The Poker Star Makes Impressive Debut
- The Poker Star Premieres This Week
The winner will take home AUD $100,000 and as The Poker Star they will be given a once in a lifetime opportunity to change their world, living a poker player’s dream by joining Joe Hachem as his protégé to travel the globe competing in the world’s largest tournaments.
Who will become The Poker Star?
Of course you can join Joe Hachem, Lee Nelson and The Poker Star contestants on the felt by simply logging into PokerStars.